The State of Florida regulates home inspectors under the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR). All home inspections conducted in the State of Florida must be conducted by a Florida Licensed and Insured Home Inspector as of July 1, 2011 as amended by House Bill 713 (2010 legislative session).
FLORIDA HOME INSPECTOR LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- Application for Licensure” effective July 2012
- Be of good moral character. Good moral character means a "personal history of honesty, fairness, and respect for the rights of others and the laws of this state and nation."
- They are required to complete a Livescan (electronic fingerprinting) background report with the state and FBI.
- High School diploma (or equivalent)
- Complete an approved course of study of 120 hours covering structure, exterior, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, roofing, interiors, exteriors, and site grounds & grading. a) Inspection Methods 24-hours b) Building Systems 42 hours c) Reporting 24 hours d) Professional Practice 10-hours e) 20 hours of field-based practical demonstrations of the inspection process by the student under the direct supervision of a licensed Florida home inspector.
- Maintain commercial general liability insurance (not less than $300,000).
- Apply to the Florida Home Inspector Department to take a licensure examination.
- Complete and passed the National Home Inspectors Examination given by the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors (EBPHI).
- Continuing Education - Florida Home Inspector Licensees are required to get 14 hours of continuing education every two years in Florida.
In the opinion of this Home Inspector if the price is too low you must ask yourself; why? The fee for a basic home inspection nationwide is $300 to $500 by HUD estimates in "Ten Important Questions to Ask Your Home Inspector" 2011. The size of the home, additional structures, pools or spas and irrigation systems will all add to the price of the inspection. Fees vary by region of the country significantly. When purchasing your home, you want the best inspection at a reasonable price. A thorough inspection will take from 2 to 5 hours to complete. When it is your money and your family’s safety on the line you want the most meticulous inspector you can find.
Frank Carr is the Owner / Inspector at First Choice Home Inspections in Deltona, FL. Formerly in the building trades, Frank’s focus is a safe home and building FCHI. We believe that consumers have the right to expect the highest standards of thoroughness, fairness and effectiveness from their home inspector and that is exactly what we provide. Http://www.1homeinspector.com